20 September 2013

The Grand Canyon- Part 2, Arizona

As we drive away from this natural wonder and head towards Sin City, I'm trying to think of what I liked best about our Grand Canyon experience. Truly, I don't think I can. Every time you view this wonder, whether from an east or west vantage point, sunrise or sunset, it's all truly magical. This morning, standing with hundreds of people waiting for the sun to make its first appearance for the day from the east, then watching the light flood through the canyon- awesome. But then watching the sun dip below the horizon as the full moon rose above the canyon-almost religious. The sandy color of the Colorado River, tiny in distance, awe inspiring in the knowledge that its power caused the canyons incredible rock formation. Californian Condors- incredibly rare, enormous, silently gliding along the air thermals created by the canyons height. Trying to imagine that we were standing 7000 feet above the canyon floor and that to reach the north rim, 10 miles across from us, takes 5 hours by car!!

Watching the kids faces as they spotted yet another bull elk or deer, squirrels darting amongst their feet and even into the wheel hubs of the RV. This was a true natural escape and I think for all of us a change in thought processes regarding nature and how small we are really are. 

Whilst on our adventure the kids became fully fledged " Junior Ranges" and had to pledge an oath in front of one of the rangers to receive their badges and certificates. They had to spend the day filling out a journal and answering various questions relating to their age. Quite a bit of that time had to be spent in quiet reflection somewhere along the rim and all of them were surprised with what this enabled them to 'see, hear and feel'.. 

This aspect of our journey has bought us all closer and Stu and I can feel a 'shift' within our family unit and within ourselves. For each of us, a greater appreciation of this wonderful planet earth and just how important it is for us to travel, to understand and appreciate just how lucky we all really are

...

1 comment: